Seventeen-year-old Chasen Franklin of Brownwood told City Marshal Dean Kilburn he had wanted to talk to his ex-girlfriend about their relationship. Kilburn responded that "people normally do not talk with their fists."
Those were among the details on a report filed by Kilburn, who arrested Franklin, of Brownwood, on an assault charge. The arrest was in connection with an attack Saturday evening on another 17-year-old male, who had been with Franklin's ex-girlfriend at the Brownwood Coliseum during the Brownwood Reunion, Kilburn's report states.
According to the report:
Kilburn was working security at the coliseum around 6:25 p.m. when someone told him a male had just been attacked. Kilburn saw a group of about eight people standing around a male sitting on the ground, and Kilburn recognized a firefighter from Coleman who was providing medical attention. The male, who had blood on a hand and arm, said he had a traumatic brain injury from an earlier incident.
A teen girl said she and the victim had walked out of the coliseum together, when her ex-boyfriend walked up, spoke to her, and hit the other teen in the head four times and ran.
Someone called out "there goes the guy that attacked him," and Kilburn began chasing the suspect as he ran among parked vehicles owned by the carnival. Kilburn yelled for the suspect to stop, and Brownwood police Sgt. Art Shannon, Sgt. Mike Sheedy and Lt. Tracey Delgado joined in the chase.
Kilburn chased the suspect onto Pecos and into a creek bed and ordered the suspect to walk toward him. The suspect refused, but called out to Kilburn that he didn't want to go to jail and that he had wanted to talk to his ex-girlfriend about their relationship. The suspect ran to the top of the creek bank, and Kilburn then heard Delgado radio that the suspect was in custody at the intersection of Malone and Valley.
Kilburn learned later that the victim was getting stitches under his left eye in the emergency room and that his head seemed OK.
In other recent incidents:
• Brownwood police Cpl. Richard williams arrested Michael Jiminez, 31, of Yoakum, Saturday on charges of failure to identify, criminal mischief, terrorist threat and public intoxication in connection with an incident at the Reunion carnival. Other details were not available.
• Officer Anna Sturgeon was dispatched Saturday to the 1000 block of Lackey on a domestic disturbance and arrested Daniel Warlick, 23, on a charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.
• Officer Bruce Spruill was dispatched early Sunday morning to the 1700 block of Woodridge, where a woman said her teen daughter had snuck her teen boyfriend inside after the woman went to bed.
• Officer Kelly Barclay was dispatched Saturday to the 1300 block of First, where a woman said her ex-boyfriend slashed a tire on her vehicle while it was parked at the Reunion.
• Officer Zane Taylor arrested John Roseboom, 34, of Brownwood, on a charge of possession of a controlled subtance after a traffic stop Saturday in the 1300 block of Main.
• Barclay was dispatched Sunday to the 1600 block of Borden, where a female said she was assaulted by her sister. It turned out the complainant was the primary aggressor.
• Officer Sky Self was dispatched Sunday to the 2300 block of Main Boulevard on an assault call.
• Officer Jesse Mares was dispatched Sunday to the 4000 block of Sixth on a domestic disturbance. A female said her ex's girlfriend hit her, and Mares issued a criminal trespass warning.
• Cpl. Johnny Jackson spoke with a woman Sunday who said she went to a Reunion concert with friends and saw her ex-boyfriend. While she was talking, another woman punched her and tried to pull up her shirt.
• Mares was dispatched Frida to the 1000 block of Vine on a report that a wanted person was walking with his girlfriend. Mares located the person, Christopher Riley, 17, of Brownwood, in the 1200 block of Austin and arrested him on bond withdrawal warrants for obstruction/retaliation and theft, and on a new charge of failure to identify.
Others booked into the Brown County Jail between 8 a.m. Friday and 8 a.m. Monday were:
Catherine Adame, 39, theft by check.
Richard Ammons, 18, Brownwood, public intoxication by a minor.
Shauna Anderson, 36, Abilene, possess of a controlled substance (weekender).
Israel Arocha, 41, Brownwood, failure to appear, traffic warrants.
Ricky Delarosa, 31, Brownwood, DWI.
Heather Dominguez, 30, Brownwood, theft by check.
Luis Martinez, 62, Brownwood, bail jumping and failure to appear for driving with an invalid license.
Aaron Minor, 23, Brownwood, reckless driving.
Jonathan O'Neal, 22, Brownwood, assault.
Robert Rios, 26, Brownwood, assault.
Josue Rivera, 29, San Angelo, money laundering.
Lynn Scott, 28, Lake Brownwood, driving with invalid license.