The Brownwood City Council agreed Tuesday to authorize the city to apply for the Texas Department of Transportation Enhancement Program for funding for the Camp Bowie Walking Trail.

TxDOT has announced a call for applications for its federally funded Transportation Enhancement Program, council members were told.

The city proposes to build a walking trail just over 2 miles long. It will connect the Brownwood Middle School and Woodland Acres Subdivision to the future soccer complex, Gordon Wood Stadium, Festival Park, the Family Aquatic Center and the Bert V. Massey II Sports Complex.

The city is eligible to receive an 80 percent reimbursement on the costs associated with the construction of the walking trail, and the remaining 20 percent cash match ($95,000) will come from an earlier issuance of Certificates of Obligation to fund street improvements, council members were told.

The preliminary cost estimate is $475,000.