A vacant apartment being remodeled caught fire Wednesday morning, causing extensive damage.

    The Brownwood Fire Department responded a call of a structure fire in the 1500 block of Terrace at approximately 11:15 a.m. Wednesday.

    According to fire marshal Buddy Preston, the fire began when a chemical thinner to remove the glue adhesive in the flooring trickled toward the hot water heater and was ignited by the pilot light, which set the apartment ablaze.

    Workers from De La Paz construction were on the scene, but escaped harm.