Surprise, surprise — I’m here. Needless to say, Honey isn’t happy that her columns have been delayed. She was uber excited to share her adventures.

But, I’m here and will be here until further notice.

Never thought any part of my adult life would emulate a children’s book, but Friday had me feeling like Alexander, a character from Judith Viorst’s book “Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.”

To give a little background, let’s rewind to Monday.

With the surgery that was suppose to happen, I needed to have some lab work done. In an effort to save myself another trip to Austin, I decided to have the lab work done in Brownwood thinking I shouldn’t have any issues with it.

Boy, was I wrong. With my doctor’s order in hand, I go with a facility thinking it shouldn’t be an issue to get lab work drawn. I even asked the receptionist if I needed to set an appointment and they told me no.

I first went in at 11:30 a.m. thinking I’ll catch them before lunch, but was told to come back at 1 p.m. No problem, so I thought. I arrive shortly after 1 p.m. and I started what I like to call the “call everyone but me” game. The game lasted for one and a half hours and was on the verge of becoming a very different game.

Finally get called back and get my lab draw, which took five minutes. Before leaving I asked about getting a copy of the results for my records and was told I would have to get them from my doctor, who would get the results faxed to her anywhere between 24 to 48 hours.

Friday strolls along starting good, even though it was set to be an extremely busy day for me as I prepared for my week leave. Last minute payments related to the surgery had to be made, but I was on track — so I thought.

Wanting to make sure all my ducks were in a row, I called my doctor to make sure she received my lab results and to check on my blood count before surgery. To my dismay, no results were faxed.

Looking up the facility’s number, I called and left a message. A few minutes later, I decided to look up what time the place closes since some places close early on Friday. I panicked when Google showed the office closed at noon.

Using my resources, I manage to get a hold of the facility via a third party to discover that I was misinformed on Monday. My doctor would have to call the company that runs the lab for the results. No worries, so I thought as I juggled trying to get these ducks to line up.

Informed my doctor she needed to call said company for results. Shortly after this call, my ducks decided to fly away.

My surgeon’s nurse, Cristina, calls me to inform me that my heart doctor refused to clear me for surgery — something I didn’t think would be an issue since he cleared me for the first surgery. She advised me to see if I could see him today to get cleared or see if he would reconsider his decision, otherwise the surgery would be canceled.

Needless to say, that’s something I wasn’t expecting to hear at 1:30 p.m. on Friday. Along with the lab company informing Cristina they didn’t have any results for her since I wasn’t in their system.

Upon calling his office, I discover the reason why I was declined. I was a no show for an appointment — which I didn’t know I had nor did I receive any type of reminder — and I rescheduled the next appointment that was set for Aug. 9, which I did since I would be recovering from surgery.

I understand to an extent his concern, but my heart issues are minor compared to his usual patients. The medications I’m under are strictly preventative from the damage my heart received from treatment. From my understanding, yes there is damage but the medications are just to prevent things from getting worse.

My “Hail Mary” attempt to keep the surgery set was an epic fail. I know it can be rescheduled, but I have very specific reasons why I wanted it done sooner rather than later. This just puts my life on hold once again, a place I seem to stay since the whole cancer saga started in 2007.

If I can get these darn ducks to come back, I should hopefully have the surgery rescheduled for late August. I’m just hoping nothing else happens to scare the ducks away, I really need them to get in a row.

Turns out, Viorst has two other books my life mirrors in one way or another — “Alexander, Who Used to be Rich Last Sunday” and “Alexander, Who’s Not (Do you hear me? I mean it!) Going to Move.”