Unleash the WATCH DOGS.
These are no ordinary canines, though; they are fathers, stepfathers, godfathers, grandfathers, uncles, brothers, and neighbors participating in the WATCH D.O.G.S. (Dads of Great Students) an innovative father and father figure-involvement program that has two primary goals:
• To provide positive male role models for the students, demonstrating by their presence that education is important.
• To provide extra sets of eyes and ears to enhance school security and reduce bullying.
• Students gain positive male role models.
• Schools gain an extra set of eyes and ears, the presence of a father or father figure will provide an additional deterrent to bullying, enhance a sense of security in the building, and will help to create an environment conducive to learning.
• Fathers and father figures get a glimpse of their students’ everyday world and learn about the increasingly complex challenges and decisions today’s youth are facing and gain a greater awareness of the positive impact they can have on their student’s life in three critical areas including: academic performance, self-esteem, social behavior.
A kick-off sign-up event (Pizza night) will begin at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 25, for Woodland Heights Elementary School students and their dads will be in the school cafeteria.