Two men told Early police that marijuana found in a traffic stop “belongs to Jack,” but there was no Jack.
The two men — Stephen Horne, 41, of Garland and Jason Glidewell, 32, of Altus, Okla. — were arrested on charges of possession of marijuana under 2 ounces after a traffic stop at 3:15 a.m. Sunday, Early Police Chief David Mercer said.
The arrests were among several made by area law enforcement officials over the weekend in incidents that also included assaults, domestic disturbances and DWI.
Glidewell and Horne were arrested after detective Shawn Dibrell and patrolman Johnny Brown stopped a pickup pulling a trailer with no license plate, Mercer said.
Dibrell smelled marijuana, and the officers found some in the rear seat. The two said the marijuana belonged to Jack, but “no one could produce who Jack was,” Mercer said.a
The officers found more marijuana, and one of the men again said “that belongs to Jack,” Mercer said. “No one named Jack was found.”
The trailer has been held pending an investigation by the Department of Public Safety’s Motor Vehicle Theft due to no registration or identification numbers located, Mercer said.
In other incidents:
• Early officer Reese Shaffer stopped a vehicle traveling 75 mph in a 55 mph zone. Shaffer, assisted by officer John Mills, smelled marijuana, searched the vehicle and found some, Mercer said.
Ryan Brinstool, 20, of San Angelo; Jaryn Jones, 19, of North Richland Hills; and Andrew Runion, 21, of San Angelo, were arrested on charges of possession of marijuana, jail records state.
• Brownwood officer Trey Weathermon stopped a pickup Saturday night that came off the Truman Harlow Overpass at 70 mph. Weathermon arrested Daniel Garcia, 39, of Haltom City on a charge of DWI second offense, jail records state.
• Officer James Fuller arrested Margarita Lara, 30, of Bangs on an assault charge after a domestic dispute in the 1700 block of Durham. A man told Fuller a woman became angry when he returned home from Sonic with a drink, but didn’t bring drinks for everyone.
• Officer Chandra Geis arrested Jacob Keith, 20, of Brownwood on an assault charge after a domestic dispute in the 1500 block of Seventh.
• Weathermon arrested Ronnie Lara, 25, and Orlando Carrillo, 19, both of Brownwood, on charges of public intoxication and disorderly conduct after a disturbance in the 300 block of Bluffview.
• Fuller arrested Brandi Bruton, 26, of Brownwood on an assault charge after a disturbance in the 2000 block of Slayden.
• City Marshal Dean Kilburn arrested Felicia Andrews, 29, of Brownwood on a charge of hindering apprehension after he knocked on a door to serve a warrant. The woman who answered his knock falsely told Kilburn the man he sought wasn’t inside, Kilburn’s report states.
The man Kilburn sought, Scott McCaslin, 37, was inside and Kilburn arrested him on outstanding warrants, jail records state.
• Officer Stephanie Morgan arrested Douglas Hardway, 18, of Brownwood on a charge of failure to register as a sex offender. Morgan encountered Hardway when she was taking a theft report from another person in the 1600 block of Avenue K, and Hardway approached and said $600 had been stolen from him.
Hardway later said no money had been stolen, and she learned he had a warrant related to his sex offender status.
• Members of the sheriff’s office’s new Criminal Interdiction Unit arrested Richard Garcia, 21, of Brownwood and Thomas Noble, 25, when they accompanied a probation officer to serve a probation warrant in the 2800 block of Southside.
Garcia, 21, of Brownwood was charged with possession of a controlled substance, jail records state. Noble, 25, of Brownwood was charged with possession of marijuana under 2 ounces.
Members of the unit arrested Ariel Jeanjacques, 23, of New Orleans on a charge of possession of marijuana under 2 ounces after after following up on a tip at a local hotel.