A 20-year-old Brownwood man is accused of traveling to several hotel parking lots and taking fishing gear and other items from trucks and boats early Friday and Saturday mornings, police said.
Charges are also being filed against the man’s girlfriend and a male accomplice, but they have not been arrested, according to police and Brown County Jail reports.
Jacob Morgan was arrested Saturday at a local pawn shop after police learned a man was trying to sell a stolen rod and reel, a report by officer Troy Grusendorf states.
Morgan was booked into the Brown County Jail on charges of possessing stolen property and engaging in organized criminal activity, and on three charges of burglary of a motor vehicle, jail records state.
Morgan remained jailed Monday in lieu of bonds totaling $17,000, jail records state.
After radioing for backup, Grusendorf went to the pawn shop Saturday afternoon after learning someone had brought in a rod and reel to sell. The items matched the description of a rod and reel taken in a vehicle burglary at Gate 1 Motor Inn, Grusendorf’s report states.
A man who was there with his girlfriend told Grusendorf the rod and reel were his. He said he had bought them from a friend.
Then the man said he’d taken them from a boat parked at Gate 1, Grusendorf’s report states. The man was arrested, and agreed to go with officers to his apartment and show them other stolen items he said he’d taken in the Gate 1 vehicle burglary.
On Sunday, Grusendorf learned that other items he’d seen in the man’s apartment might have also been stolen, Grusendorf’s report states. Grusendorf spoke with the man at the jail and asked for written consent to search his apartment and his vehicle.
The man asked Grusendorf if he was “in some more trouble,” then looked down at the floor and said there were other items in his apartment that he had taken, Grusendorf’s report states.
The man consented to a search and allowed officers to take him to the apartment, where he directed officers to the locations of several stolen items, Grusendorf’s report states.
The man said he was hurt on the job and had to stop working, and started taking items from vehicles parked in hotel parking lots. He said he had taken items from vehicles at the Hampton Inn, Gate 1 and Holiday Inn Express, Grusendorf’s report states.
Grusendorf also spoke with the man’s girlfriend. She said said her boyfriend told her he and an accomplice who’d been staying at his apartment had been taking items from vehicles at hotels, and at one point she called the accomplice to warn him to leave the apartment because the police were on their way, Grusendorf’s report states.
The girlfriend told Grusendorf she knew the fishing gear that her boyfriend took to the pawn shop was stolen and still rode to the pawn shop with him, the report states.
In other incidents:
• Officer Danny Hutchins arrested James Wilhelm, 35, of Brownwood on a DWI charge after responding to a complaint that a truck pulling a 20-foot pontoon boat was all over the street, striking curbs. Hutchins stopped the driver Sunday evening at Main and Gill.
• Someone broke into the Texas Express store, 1501 Market Place, and took beer and cigarettes.
• Officer Aaron Taylor arrested Leslie Floyd, 19, of Brownwood on a charge of possession of marijuana under 2 ounces after a traffic stop Sunday in the 500 block of East Commerce.
• Police responded to a dispute in the 600 block of Fisk in which a woman was upset over who got the first piece of a birthday cake. Police arrested a woman on a public intoxication charge.
• Someone broke out all of the fluorescent lights at Munchie’s car wash, 1206 Coggin.