Brown County Sheriff’s deputies will be commended at Monday’s Commissioners Court meeting for their actions in subduing a knife-wielding man at the courthouse on Jan. 5.
The incident happened when a man facing arrest in the probation department pulled a butcher knife and told sheriff’s deputies to shoot him, officials said earlier. Terry Shafer, 53, surrendered after a deputy talked him into putting down the knife, sheriff’s officials have said.
Courthouse deputy Wayne Coffman had approached Shafer to serve a warrant for failure to appear in court when Shafer reached under his coat and pulled the knife, sheriff’s officials said earlier.
Coffman drew his gun and ordered Shafer to put down the knife, and sheriff’s Sgt. David Mercer fired two Taser charges at Shafer, officials said earlier. His thick coat prevented the charges from having any effect.
Sgt. Tony Aaron, who knew Shafer from previous events, persuaded him to surrender. Shafer was later indicted on a charge of aggravated assault against a peace officer in connection with the incident.
Commissioners meet at 9 a.m. The entire agenda follows:
A. Opening prayer
B. Reading and approval of minutes
C. Recognition of visitors
D. Matter of new business to be presented to the court for its consideration and action as appropriate. Items may not be taken in the order that they are listed.
1. Frank Griffin — approval of travel expenses for DWI Court training
2. Sheriff’s Office — employee commendation
3. Sheriff’s Office — approval of employee changes
4. Approval of tax resale deed for three acres out of Section 40, H.T. &B. RR. Co. to Johnny and Debra Eisen
5. John Chisholm — approval of re-plat of Peninsula and Spillway Park Subdivision and acceptance of roads as county roads
6. TxDOT-Off system bridge report for Brown County
7. Richard Gist — City of Blanket, utility easement, CR 620.
F. Consideration and approval of bills
G. Adjournment or recess