“There’s nothing half so pleasant as coming home again.”
– Margaret Elizabeth Sangster
Hello Brown County. It’s “Reunion” time – and if you’re ready for a good time, there’s surely one to be had in downtown Brownwood today. It’s got it all, things for the kids, vendors, wild rides on the midway, music and magic.
There are races to be run, cook-offs and dance contests. Can it get any better? This, folks, isn’t just any Saturday. It’s a full-fledged, got it all and then some matter day.
And enjoy it if you can. Weather is supposed to be mild. It is, after all the last Saturday of summer.
Now, other than the Reunion Celebration, there’s just not much else going on anywhere or any place. Still, let’s take a quick look at the proposed schedule.
Whether you’re here, or there, there and wish you were here, or here and thinking of going there, do make it a good day. Smile at everyone you see, and tell them how glad you are that you got to see them. If they’ve been away, welcome them back. If they never left, let them know you’re glad they stayed.
Now, here’s what we have on the agenda.
The Grosvenor School Ex-Students Association will hold a reunion starting at 10 a.m. and continuing until late evening in the Group Recreation Hall at Lake Brownwood State Park. Attendees should bring a vegetable, salad or dessert to share for the noon meal. Meat, coffee, tea and paper goods will be provided.
By the way
• The Brownwood Area Farmers Market is open this season from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. or until sell-out. The market is located in the shade under the Bill Monroe Overpass (Austin Avenue) at Avenues A and Brady.
• The Heart of Texas Dance Club meets from 7 to 9 p.m. each Saturday at St. John’s Church, on Main and Depot, for open dance practice. Cost is $2 per person. Call 646-0048 or 646-0037 for information.
• The Lake Brownwood Lions Club, 6751 Highway 279 will host a country musical from 6 to 10 p.m. Listen to the talents of area musicians and singers. Snack bar will be open serving homemade ice cream and hamburgers. No alcohol is allowed on the premises or in the building.
• The Lake Brownwood Lions Club, 6751 Highway 279, will host bingo at 1:30 p.m.