Brownwood police believe an assault early Monday morning, involving three white assailants and a white victim, may have stemmed from a dispute within a white supremacist organization.
Two suspects were arrested minutes after the assault, which was reported to police at 12:13 a.m., police Sgt. Troy Carroll said. The third suspect had not been arrested Monday and police were trying to determine his identity, Carroll said.
The assault happened outside the victim’s home in the 1700 block of Avenue B, Carroll said.
Ryan Lockwood, 25, of Hamilton and Dustin Vaught, 24, of Clifton were booked into the Brown County Jail on charges of assault and engaging in organized criminal activity, jail records say. They are free on bonds totaling $8,500 each.
Police suspect the three assailants and the 30-year-old victim are members of the Aryan Circle. “They’re basically a white supremacist group that is basically engaged in all types of criminal activity,” Carroll said.
The victim, who Carroll did not identify, was kicked and punched, and was being treated by Guardian EMS when police arrived, Carroll said. He did not know if the victim was taken to the hospital.
He said police think they know the motive in the assault, which may have been related to another crime involving a possible Aryan Circle member. Carroll would not comment on the motive but said, “What it sounds like is an assault related to membership in the Aryan Circle.”
The victim told police the assailants knocked on his door, and when he opened the door, they asked him to come outside and talk. The victim told police he went outside and was assaulted, Carroll said.
A witness told police she saw three men get of of a van parked in the 1600 block of Avenue B and they appeared to attempt to remain undetected as they walked toward the victim’s home, Carroll said.
According to the FBI’s Web site, the Aryan Circle was founded in 1985 as a splinter group of the Texas Aryan Brotherhood prison gang.
A few minutes after the assault, Sgt. Tracey Delgado made a traffic stop of a vehicle occupied by two of the three suspects, Carroll said.
In other incidents:
• Brownwood officer Scotty Burke arrested Robert Leblanc, 45, of Brownwood on an outstanding warrant after he was dispatched to the 300 block of Maple on a report of a naked man. Burke arrived to find a man covered in a sleeping bag wearing only white socks.
• Sgt. Mitch Slaymaker arrested Allen Troxell Jr., 38, on an assault charge after a domestic dispute in the 800 block of Gifford.
• Officer Brandon Arnold arrested Terry Rice, 44, on charges of assault and public intoxication after a domestic dispute in the 1000 block of Coggin. Rice was arrested on a public intoxication charge the same day he bonded out of jail on the earlier charges, jail records state.
• Officer Dustin Bode arrested Diedra Lawson, 38, on three charges of possession of dangerous drugs. Bode arrested the woman after he was dispatched to the 200 block of East Commerce on a report that a woman was sitting next to a creek, talking to herself and a tree. The woman told Bode she had stopped at a shade tree to put on makeup.
• Deputy John Fincher arrested Gary Allison, 52, on a charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon after a domestic dispute. A woman told Fincher a man threatened her with a knife.
• Fincher arrested Chase Worsham, 17, on a charge of possession of marijuana under 2 ounces after a traffic stop on County Road 267.
• Deputy Scott Bird arrested Eddie Jowers, 40, on a charge of possession of marijuana under 4 ounces after deputies followed up on a tip.