A man in a northwest Brownwood neighborhood was treated for smoke inhalation Tuesday night when a dropped cigarette burned through his oxygen tube, setting his mattress on fire, the city’s fire marshal said.

The man’s brother knocked the fire down somewhat with a fire extinguisher, and firefighters made a quick entry and extinguished the blaze, Fire Marshal Buddy Preston said.

The fire, at 1006 San Benito, began around 9:45 p.m., Fire Chief Del Albright said.

Preston said a man in his 40s, who is on oxygen, had taken off his nose tube and put it on a night stand. The man lit a cigarette and was leaving the room when the cigarette fell on the oxygen tube, Preston said.

The hose “burned through and caught fire, and it was being fed pure oxygen, which increased the fire,” Preston said.

Guardian EMS took the man, who Preston declined to identify, to Brownwood Regional Medical Center. He said fire officials found one of the man’s socks with a burn mark. He said the man may have received a small burn on his foot but he had no details on that injury.