A Cross Plains man who told a deputy he took an 11-year-old relative with him to buy methamphetamine at a Brownwood residence was arrested on multiple charges, sheriff’s officials said.
Billy Higgins, 53, was arrested after a traffic stop late Friday night on Highway 279 in Brown County, a report by deputy John Fincher states.
Higgins was booked into the Brown County Jail on charges of endangering a child, possession of a controlled substance and possession of marijuana under 2 ounces, and on Eastland and Callahan county warrants, jail records state.
Higgins’ wife and the child relative were also in the vehicle. Higgins’ wife had a Brownwood city warrant but was not arrested “due to the situation with the 11-year-old child,” Fincher’s report states.
Fincher, assisted by deputy James Stroope, learned there was marijuana and methamphetamine in the Chevrolet Blazer. Higgins told Fincher he had taken his wife to the Brownwood Regional Medical Center emergency room. He told his wife he and the boy were going to a store to get a six-pack of beer while she was in the emergency room, Fincher’s report states.
“Billy Higgins stated that he took (the child) to an address in Brownwood and bought the methamphetamine,” Fincher’s report states. “Billy Higgins told deputy Stroope that he took (the child) into their residence with him, but stated that (the child) was in the other room while he shot up.”
In other incidents:
• Deputy Jed Polnick arrested Charles Holck, 57, of Brownwood on a DWI charge after a traffic stop on Highway 279.
• Brownwood officer Danny Hutchins arrested Eliseo Aldape, 60, of Brownwood on a DWI charge after a traffic stop in the 2400 block of Southside.
• Officer Zane Taylor arrested Jeremy Ansons, 20, and Delaina Esparza, 25, both of Brownwood, on assault charges after being dispatched to the 2100 block of Avenue B on a report of an unwanted person.
• Taylor arrested Phillip Rodriquez, 38, of Brownwood on a charge of criminal trespass and on misdemeanor warrants after a domestic disturbance in the 1500 block of Avenue D.
• Officer Aaron Taylor arrested Courtney Duffie, 27, on charges of robbery, terroristic threat and assault after a dispute between a man and a woman at the Food Plaza store at 510 W. Commerce.
An employee told Taylor her boyfriend threatened her in a phone call, then entered the store, grabbed her purse, hit her and fled on food. Cpl. Mike Sheedy located the suspect on Greedy, Taylor’s report states.
• Taylor arrested James Roberts, 24, of Brownwood on an assault charge after a woman ran to the Food Plaza at 3701 Highway 377 and said her boyfriend had assaulted her at their nearby home. A deputy found the suspect at his parents’ home on County Road 381.
• Officer Troy Grusendorf arrested Todd Doster, 45, of Zephyr on charges of possession of a controlled substance and possession of dangerous drugs after a traffic stop.
• Sgt. James Kidd arrested Robert Burton, 21, of Cisco on a charge of possession of a prohibited weapon after a traffic stop in the 1400 block of Austin.
• Officer Ray Slayton arrested Justin Pesina, 21, of Brownwood on an assault charge after a domestic disturbance in the 3500 block of Golding.