A case of parking-lot rage led to the arrest of a Brownwood man on a charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.
Edward Simpson, 41, was arrested after the incident, which happened around 6 p.m. Friday in the Wal-Mart parking lot, a report by officer Brian Tompkins states.
Two 20-year-old men told police their vehicle nearly collided with a 1992 Chevrolet pickup in the parking lot, Tompkins’ report states. Both vehicles stopped, avoiding a collision, and the 20-year-old men raised their hands at the pickup driver and told him to be careful.
The pickup driver turned and followed the men as they drove off, and pulled in behind them when they parked, the men told Tompkins. The pickup driver pulled what was described as a rifle — later identified as a 410 gauge shotgun — from the vehicle and pointed it at one of the men, Tompkins was told.
The pickup driver, who was arrested, told Tompkins one of the men had made a threatening statement, causing him alarm, and he pulled the shotgun out half-way to display the stock.
The shotgun was loaded, Tompkins’ report states.
In other incidents:
• A man told police he accidentally left his home’s back door unlocked in the 4400 block of Brookdale. Someone went inside and took a 32-inch flat-screen television, a shotgun, two pistols, a laptop computer and a Mag flashlight.
• Police were dispatched to a home in the 2200 block of High Mesa to investigate a domestic disturbance between a husband and wife that had already occurred.
• Police were dispatched to Fire Station No. 2 on Indian Creek, where a man had walked up and said he had been assaulted the previous night. Guardian EMS took the man to Brownwood Regional Medical Center.
• Police cited Dontae Johnson, 17, for theft under $50 after an attempted shoplifting at Wal-Mart. Police arrested Jacob Carlton, 18, on a charge of theft under $500 after an attempted shoplifting at Wal-Mart. A man attempted to take $142 worth of Pokeman playing cards, saying “I just like them.”
• Police were dispatched to BRMC emergency room where a man was yelling and cursing. Police arrested Joe Knowles, 27, on a public intoxication charge.
• Police were dispatched to the 4200 block of U.S. Highway 377 South, where a woman said her ex-boyfriend forced his way into her apartment, assaulted her and assaulted a male friend who was visiting.
• Someone took a DVD player and Xbox from a home in the 2700 block of Vine.
• Officer Brandon Miller arrested Anna Gonzales, 43, on a charge of making a false report to a police officer after Miller was dispatched to the 1900 block of 14th on a civil matter.
• Someone took a 32-inch flat-screen television from a home in the 600 block of Bond.
• Officer Kimberly Cantu arrested Holly Gossett, 25, on a DWI charge after a traffic stop in the 2600 block of Belmeade.
• The owner of Munchie’s Car Wash told police he found damage to the front door of the pump room. He said it appeared someone had tried to pry the bolt shield away from the door to expose the bolt. The man said he had seen in the paper that police had stopped a teen in the area who was wearing a mask and carrying a piece of a pry bar. He said he thinks that person tried to break into the building.
• Deputy John Fincher arrested Jose Chavez, 37, on a DWI charge after a traffic stop on U.S. Highway 377 South at County Road 232.