Early's newest police officer made a traffic stop Saturday night that led to the seizure of 11 grams of methamphetamine and the arrests of the vehicle's two occupants.
The man and the woman in the pickup that officer Brandon McMillian stopped said they were en route to Brownwood to sell the drugs, Early police said.
Michael Cooper, 43, of Blanket, and Sandra Lyon, 46, of Brownwood, were booked into the Brown County Jail on charges of manufacture or delivery of a controlled substance over 4 grams under 200 grams in a drug free zone, jail records state. They were released on bonds.
McMillian stopped the pickup in the 500 block of East Commerce just inside Brownwood, police said. McMillian spoke with the driver and observed drug paraphernalia on the floor. Upon further investigation McMillian located scales, packaging material and methamphetamine.
McMillian was sworn in as an Early officer on Aug. 9. "He's a definite asset to the department and the city of Early, and people can be very proud," Early Police David Mercer said.
McMillian made a traffic stop Friday in the 100 block of U.S. Highway 183 North that led to the arrest of a Copperas Cove man.
McMillian asked the driver why he was nervous, and the driver said he had "a bag of weed in his bag," police said. The marijuana was seized, and Donnelle Vanhorn, 31, was arrested on a charge of possession of marijuana under 2 ounces, police said.
In other incidents:
• Brownwood officer Joe Thomas arrested Myron Condon, 42, of Brownwood, on two charges of violation of a protective order. Condon remained jailed Monday in lieu of bonds totaling $200,000.
Police were dispatched to the 100 block of Bluffview Friday on a report that a man had violated a protective order. Police learned he had violated the order twice that day and also on a previous occasion. Police obtained a warrant and arrested the man at a local motel.
• Officer Kevin Ard arrested Brandon Jarvis, 27, of Brownwood, on a charge of driving while intoxicated with a child under 15 after a traffic stop Saturday in the 1500 block of Glade. The vehicle contained a 17-month-old infant.
• Officer Kim Cantu arrested Melinda Varney, 21, and Sarah Varney, 19, both of Thunderbird Bay, on theft charges after an attempted shoplifting at Wal-Mart.
• Officer Brandon Johnson recognized a woman driving Friday in the 2800 block of Southside and knew she had a warrant. Johnson arrested Crystal Negrete, 27, of Brownwood, on a theft warrant and on a new charge of possession of a controlled substance penalty group 1 in a drug free zone.
• Johnson was dispatched to the 1700 block of 10th Sunday morning on a report that someone was standing outside a residence slamming doors and making a lot of noise. Johnson arrested Joseph Bates, 20, of Brownwood, on charges of failure to identify and resisting arrest.
• Police were dispatched to the 2300 block of Main Boulevard at 2:45 a.m. Sunday on a report that 10 to 15 people with handguns were fighting. The area was deserted when officers arrived. Charges of making a false report to police and abuse of the 9-1-1 system are expected to be filed, police said.
• Deputy Jed Polnick arrested Mitchell Gibbs, 21, of Brownwood, on a DWI charge.
• Deputy John Fincher arrested Stevie Rose, 21, of Brownwood, on charges of possession of a dangerous drug and failure to identify.
• Department of Public Safety Sgt. Jason Shea arrested Elmer Lawrence, 44, of Brownwood, on a charge of DWI third offense.
• Shea arrested Matthew Pittman, 40, of Brownwood, on a DWI charge.
• DPS trooper John Moody arrested Jeremy McCutchen, 31, of Putman, on a DWI charge.