An Early man told police the presence of a key in a 2011 Toyota Tundra pickup was "permission enough" for him to drive the vehicle away from the Bruner dealership Friday, Brownwood police said.
Scott Abernathy, 46, was booked into the Brown County Jail on a charge of unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, Brown County Jail records state.
According to a report by Brownwood police Cpl. Richard Williams:
Police got information around 1 a.m. Saturday that a man might have stolen a pickup from the Bruner dealership and that the suspect might be in the 100 block of Cherry. Williams went to a home on Cherry Street and asked for Abernathy. A woman pointed to the Taylor Chevron store, and Williams approached a man walking toward them and asked him his name. The man said he had found a pickup at Bruner's with the key in it and he "just took it," Williams' report states.
Williams could see the pickup sitting at the Taylor Chevron's gas pumps with a gas nozzle in the pickup's filler port. The pickup did not have a license plate and writing on its windshield proclaimed "last 2011" and "save $$$$$$." The odometer registered 75 miles.
The man said he'd been walking with his dog, and as he walked past the Bruner lot, he checked vehicles for keys. The Tundra was unlocked and had a key, and the odometer at that time registered 67 miles. The man drove around sight-seeing and stopped at the gas pumps because the tank was nearly empty.
"I asked (the suspect) if anyone had given him permission to take the pickup," Williams' report states. "He indicated that the keys being in the vehicle was permission enough."
A Bruner representative arrived and said he thought all the vehicles had been secured at the end of the day, but the Tundra got overlooked.
In other incidents:
• Officer Brandon Johnson was dispatched Sunday to the Law Enforcement Center on a report of aggravated sexual assault of a child. A suspect has been identified. Assistant Police Chief James Fuller said the suspect is a family member.
• Officer Joe Thomas was dispatched May 4 to the 2800 block of Southside, where a woman said her 15-year-old son was assaulted by another juvenile.
• Thomas was dispatched May 4 to the 1500 block of Fourth for a welfare check. A woman had texted a friend that she had cut herself and taken several pills.
• Officer Dustin Bode spoke by phone with a woman May 6 who said her son had an injury when she got him back from his father's apartment. It looked as though someone hit the boy below the eye with a closed fist, and his face had a mark shaped like a square ring.
• Officer Brandon Miller was dispatched Sunday to the 1300 block of First on a report that a woman assaulted her husband and another woman at the residence.
• Miller was dispatched Sunday to the 2200 block of Belmeade on a report that a woman was walking her dog in the 2200 block of Elizabeth when another dog bit her.
• Miller was dispatched Saturday to the 1500 block of Dublin on a report that a wallet had been found. The wallet was among items taken in a burglary.
• Miller made a traffic stop on a motorcycle May 4 in the 1600 block of Seventh. The rider had a marijuana pipe which he said he found in the street. Miller cited the rider for operating an unregistered motor vehicle and for possession of drug paraphernalia.
• Miller was dispatched May 4 to the 1700 block of Third on a report of a stolen bicycle.
• Officer Zane Miller was on patrol May 4 in the 200 block of Fisk when he saw a pickup with a window broken out.
• Thomas was dispatched May 5 to the 2500 block of Main, where an SUV had struck and elderly man. The driver and the elderly man were arguing in the street. Thomas arrested Jeffery Kite, 50, of Brownwood, on a charge of injury to elderly.
• Officer Robert Lee was dispatched May 4 to the 1200 block of First, where a woman said someone had put sugar in her vehicle's gas tank and had broken a door handle.
• Officer Kevin Ard was dispatched May 6 to the 900 block of Booker, where four window air conditioners were taken from a vacant house.
Also arrested between 8 a.m. Friday and 8 a.m. Monday were:
Monica Castaneda, 33, failure to ID — fugitive with false information, failure to appear, no driver's license.
Jennifer Crader, 30, Blanket, DWI.
Stephen Daggs, 27, Santa Anna, possession of a controlled substance, driving with invalid license.
Rita Dodson, 41, Brownwood, traffic warrants.
Christy Doyal, 45, Blanket, burglary of a vehicle.
Kathrine Early, 18, Early, possession of marijuana under 2 ounces.
Kathy Ferguson, 38, Brownwood, theft.
Robert Forbess, 20, Brownwood, possession of marijuana under 2 ounces.
Hugh Barr, 62, May, DWI third, unlawful carrying weapon.
Marcus Gray, 25, Brownwood, driving with invalid license, traffic warrants.
Michael Hays, 23, Brownwood, motion to revoke for burglary of a building.
Denisa Johnston, 49, Early, possession of marijuana under 2 ounces, display fictitious license plate.
James Keen, 54, Brownwood, possession of a controlled substance.
Joshua Lewis, 19, Shamrock, possession of drug paraphernalia.
Jessie Mascorro, 23, Brownwood, DWI.
Thomas Nardone, 68, Early, assault.
Monte Needham, 39, Early, driving with invalid license.
Richard Potter, 20, Brownwood, DWI.
John Quick, 27, Spring, theft, possession of a controlled substance.
Juan Ramon, 26, Menard, non-payment child support.
Mary Reyes, 38, Brady, failure to appear for theft.
David Richardson, 27, Brownwood, possession of marijuana under 2 ounces.
Mary Seeton, 34, Brownwood, unrestrained child.
Brooke Smith, 29, DWI, driving with invalid license.
Taylor Snow, 19, Brownwood, motions to revoke for DWI and criminal mischief.
Jose Sotelo, 44, Brownwood, driving with invalid license.
Thomas Stevens, 19, Ranger, possession of marijuana under 2 ounces.
Jon Walker, 21, Shamrock, possession of marijuana under 2 ounces.
Michael Wright, 36, Brownwood, burglary of building.