An electrical short caused an early morning fire Friday that gutted a north Brownwood home, displacing the man and woman who had moved there just a week earlier, Brownwood Fire Marshal Buddy Preston said.

No one was home when the fire began around 12:15 a.m. in the living room of the home in the 700 block of China Street, Preston said.

Preston identified the occupants as Bryan Inglet and Amy Bailey, who, Preston said, are in their 40s.

The two were at a relative's home nearby when the fire began, Preston said. He said Inglet was walking home when he saw the flames and called in the fire.

Representatives of the American Red Cross arrived and met with the couple, Preston said. He did not know where they went after the fire.