A night of drinking ended in an altercation in which a man pulled a woman partially into his car and drove away, dragging her and nearly running over her legs, Brownwood police said.
A sheriff's deputy made a traffic stop on a vehicle that matched the suspect vehicle's description and arrested the driver, Chad Young, 28, on a charge of DWI second offense, police reports and Brown County Jail records state.
According to a report by officer Bryan Greenrock:
Greenrock was dispatched at 12:24 a.m. Thursday to the 2000 block of Avenue D, where a woman said a man named Chad had arrived to spend time with her family. She did not know his last name.
The man became verbally abusive and was asked to leave., the woman told Greenrock. Before driving away in his 2009 Pontiac 2009, he grabbed a woman by her hair and pulled her partially inside before accelerating away, Greenrock was told. After being dragged, the woman as able to break away and fell to the pavement.
After the deputy made the traffic stop and arrested Young, Greenrock inspected the suspect vehicle, which had a black mark, believed to be a shoe print, on a door.
In other incidents:
• Deputy John Gramling arrested Vincent Reyes-Cortes, 33, on an assault warrant and on a new charge of possession of a controlled substance. Gramling made contact with Reyes in the rest area on U.S. Highway 183 South.
• Brownwood Assistant Police Chief James Fuller took a report from a man who said his wallet was taken from his unlocked vehicle and his debit card was used.
• Sgt. Mike Sheedy was dispatched to the 4200 block of U.S. Highway 377 South on a report of the burglary of a coin operated machine.
• Officer Brandon Miller was dispatched to La Quinta Inn, where he took a report on the theft of $200 from a desk drawer.
• Office Jayme Bowman was dispatched to the 600 block of Second, where a woman said her ex-boyfriend had spit in her face. Bowman issued the suspect a criminal trespass warning at the woman's request.
• Bowman was dispatched to the 800 block of Sixth on a report that a man was hit in the face by his girlfriend.
• Cpl. Stephanie Morgan took a report from a man who said his soon-to-be ex-wife used his identifying information to make an online purchase.
Others booked into the Brown County Jail between 8 a.m. Tuesday and 8 a.m Thursday were:
Jonathan Branscum, 26, Bangs, driving with invalid license.
Dina Gilmore, 46, Early, theft.
Deborah Johnson, 24, Brownwood, traffic warrant.
Josue Pesina, 29, Brownwood, parent contributing to non-attendance.
Tex Russell, 26, Early, theft of service.
Heather Woody, 26, Austin, possession of marijuana, possession of prohibited weapon.
Oscar Zuniga, 40, Brownwood, motion to revoke for burglary of building.
Frederick Benson, 36, Brownwood, failure to appear.
Jennifer Crader, 32, Blanket, parole violation.
Cynthia Flores, 17, Brownwood, assault public servant.
Michael Forbess, 32, Brownwood, possession of a controlled substance, possession of prohibited weapon.
Sammie Foster, 28, Brownwood, possession of a controlled substance.
Sarah Goodman, 24, Brownwood, possession of a controlled substance.
Roy Rankin, 36, Cross Plains, parole violation, bail jumping, driving with invalid license.
Rafiel Soto, 37, Austin, possession of a controlled substance, possession of marijuana.