A Brownwood woman's 25th birthday on Saturday did not end well.

The home in the 1800 block of Durham, where she lived with her two children, her boyfriend and another male was destroyed by a late-night fire.

Brownwood Fire Marshal Buddy Preston said the fire began in a bedroom when a flame from an open-face gas heater ignited curtains. "It's pretty gutted," Preston said.

Preston identified the occupants as Robby Minica, 31; Mabel Miller, 25; her two children, ages 3 and 18 months; and Minica's friend, Bart Parsons, 29.

It was the second fire in just over a month that was caused by items in the home contacting an open face gas heater.

"Use extreme caution," Preston said. "Don't place any kind of combustible material within three feet of an open heater."

The American Red Cross is assisting the occupants of the Durham Street home.

Red Cross Disaster Capt. Jeannette Chesser said donations to help the occupants can be taken to the Wes-T-Go store at 1400 Coggin in Brownwood, and donations will be sent to Miller. The children are average sizes for their ages and Miller wears size 16.

The Red Cross will provide shelter for up to three nights and will provide a credit card for essentials such as shoes, clothing and coats, Chesser said. Tobacco, alcohol and weapons cannot be purchased with a card.

For more information contact Chesser at 784-5953.