Ask him, Alexander Martin told a Brownwood police officer. Didn't Martin try to talk his companion, Justin Lewis, out of stealing items in a Brownwood store?
The officer asked Lewis just that. No, Lewis replied, Martin had not tried to talk him out of anything.
That dialogue was included in a police report about a shoplifting Tuesday afternoon at the Dollar General store at 315 E. Commerce.
Police arrested the two 22-year-old Brownwood residents on charges of fraudulent destruction/removal/concealment in connection with the Dollar General shoplifting, police and jail records state.
Police were dispatched to the store at 1:33 p.m. on a report of a shoplifting in progress involving two people, police said. The two left the store before officers arrived, got into a vehicle and drove away.
Another officer intercepted the suspect vehicle in the 100 block of C.C. Woodson and made a traffic stop. Officers arrested the pair after talking to witnesses, watching store security video and recovering stolen items, police said.
The Dollar Store incident was one of several theft and burglary calls listed in recent police reports including:
• 1100 block of Indian Creek — items were taken from a storage unit.
• 900 block of West Baker — a television and wallet were taken.
• 2700 block of North Main Boulevard — items were taken in a burglary and a suspect was identified.
• 4400 block of Mimosa — a weed eater and a bicycle were taken.
In other incidents:
• Police responded to a domestic disturbance in the 600 block of Penn, where officers encountered a woman lying in the street with an injured arm. The woman said she'd been hit by a pickup.
• Police were dispatched to the 2300 block of Main Boulevard on an assault call. No one wanted to press charges but someone made a criminal mischief complaint after a $3,000 television was damaged.
Others booked into the Brown County Jail between 8 a.m. Monday and 8 a.m. Wednesday were:
Alex Arellano Jr., 29, Brownwood, possession of a controlled substance, traffic warrant.
Nicole Bass-Heather, 17, Dayton, assault public servant.
Ruth Pannell, 43, Brownwood, assault.
Inarei Pesina, 22, Early, theft.
Ricky Robertson, 36, Dallas, forgery.
Ernest Soto Jr., 46, Brownwood, motion to revoke for theft.
Ruben Cadena, 42, Brownwood, theft of service, theft by check.
Luis Dominguez, 24, Fort Worth, immigration hold.
Jeremy Ortega, 28, Brownwood, theft.
Charles Simpson, 48, Burtram, DWI third or more/seven years TDCJ.
Malcolm Walls, 25, Brownwood, burglary of a habitation with intent to comment other felony, burglary of a habitation, bond withdrawal for theft of service.
Micky Warren, 24, Brownwood, forgery (six counts).