In a spirit of gratitude for the life he had, the pleasures he experienced and those he shared with others, Roy Dale McBride entered into eternal rest with his Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, on Sept. 16, 2014. Until the time of his death, Dale believed that he had lived one of the most blessed lives he knew, and yet he was anxious to be reunited with his family in heaven.

Dale was born on Oct. 30, 1924, in May, Texas, the seventh son of Evans and Emma McBride As a young boy, he worked alongside his family on their 120-acre farm, carrying a cotton sack at an early age. Almost always shoeless, Dale spent most of his early years working, walking to school, and even traveling barefoot. His class at the May school was moved into the basement of the First Methodist Church of May when the school burned down As a member of the Declamation Team for the school, Dale traveled to Brownwood with the team in his signature bib overalls and barefoot style. Though their means were meager, the McBride boys did not let the lack of shoes stop them from accomplishing what was needed.

Dale graduated May, Texas in 1942, and he enlisted into the Army ten days before his 18th birthday.† For the next three years, he studied in the military. He became a Control Tower Operator and was stationed at Douglas, Ariz. Because he didnít enjoy his Arizona locale, he tested for Cadet training and passed, and he again began studying, including a stay at Drake University. After the education portion of his duty, he earned his wings on June 27, 1945, ironically again in Douglas, Ariz. Dale flew for the Air Corps until his release in October of 1945.

While at Drake University, Dale met and married his first wife, June. Together, they had two sons, Danny Dale McBride and Asa Dennis McBride. After the war, Dale and June returned to Iowa, where Dale farmed. The family returned to Texas shortly thereafter, but again returned to Iowa, where Dale owned and operated McBride Hardware in Coon Rapids for six years and later worked for Armstrong Tire and Rubber in Des Moines for 10 years. The family finally returned to Texas in the mid-1960s. Dale worked in Dallas for the Plant Engineering, Installation and Modification department of the Texas Instruments Chemical Division for eight years, after which he moved to the Abilene area and worked for Valley Faucet until his retirement in 1990. Dale retired to Brownwood to be near his family at that time and returned to his love of farming, working closely with his brother, Ernest, for many years.

In 1999, Dale met his true love, Malee, and married her in 2000, gaining a new Thai family. His 14 years with her were the happiest of his life, and he was ever so grateful for her love and care. Daleís 90 years of living embodied the values of hard work, honesty, determination, and a profound sense of family.

Dale is survived and greatly missed by his wife, Maleewan McBride, his sons, Danny McBride and Denny McBride, his brother, Jack McBride, as well as a number of nieces and nephews. His beloved border collie, Baby, will miss him, as well.

Dale was preceded in death by his parents, Evans and Emma McBride, and his siblings and their spouses, including Stanley (Camilla) McBride, Julius (Wilma) McBride, Homer (Ruby Doris) McBride, Dow (Sylvia) McBride, Ernest (Esther) McBride, Bobby Gene McBride, Joy (Bussie) Boaz, Bobbie McBride(sister-in-law), Joe (Frances) McBride, and James (Betty) McBride.

Services for Dale McBride will be held at the May First United Methodist Church, on Friday, Sept. 19 at 10 a.m. Visitation will be held today from 6-8 p.m. at the funeral home.†Heartland Funeral Home in Early is in charge of arrangements.

Condolences can be offered to the family at