Prosecutors continued to call witnesses Wednesday morning in the capital murder trial of Jekaris Bryant, 19, who is charged in the December 2015 death of his 4-week-old daughter, Breyla Ann Bryant.
    Witnesses included Brownwood police detective Harold Thomas, who provided District Attorney Micheal Murray and Assistant District Attorney Elisha Bird with recordings of phone calls Bryant made from the Brown County Jail. Bryant made those calls to his father, Richard Bryant, and Makahla Brewer, the infant’s mother.
    In the recordings, Bryant expressed frustration that his father was unable to raise the money to get him out of jail on bond. Bryant’s bond was initially set at $500,000, and he was released on bond on June 22 through the county’s Indigent Defense and Pretrial Services program.
    Bird asked Thomas if Bryant seemed more upset about not getting out of jail when his bond remained at $500,000 than he did he was over the death of his daughter. Thomas answered affirmatively.
    In one of the phone calls, Bryant sounded dismayed when he told Brewer, “they charged me for murder … can you help me get out of here?”
    Brewer asked Bryant if he’d told her the truth when he said their baby had been choking before she died and that Bryant had tried to save her by patting her on the back and shaking her lightly. “I don’t want to talk about that now,” Bryant replied in the recording.
    Richard Bryant and Brewer made several statements in the recordings about the baby’s death being an accident.
    Shortly before the noon recess, Bird called Charla Airheart, who is Brewer’s aunt. Airheart said Bryant had seemed “nonchalant, non-caring and cold” after Breyla’s death. Airheart said she was at Brownwood Regional Medical Center when the emergency room staff tried to save Breyla, who had sustained extensive injuries, on the afternoon of Dec. 13, 2015.
    Bryant played games on his phone and talked to people on the phone, telling them there was plenty of room at the emergency room and “ya’ll come on out,” Airheart said.
    Dr. Scot Morris was more emotional than Bryant appeared to be when Morris told the family there was nothing more the emergency room staff could do for Breyla, Airheart said.
    After the graveside service for Beyla ended, Airheart testified, Bryant walked off. She heard Bryant telling someone on his phone there was plenty of food and “ya’ll come on over.”
    Airheart said she knew from what Brewer had told her that Bryant had a “pretty violent” temper. “They yelled at lot — argued and screamed a lot,” Airheart said, adding there had been “pushing and shoving.”
    After defense attorney Jud Woodley objected to Airheart’s testimony, Bird said she was asking the questions because of statements Brewer made Tuesday. Brewer testified Tuesday that she and Bryant had a good relationship that had the normal ups-and-downs of any relationship.
    Airheart said she’s had a falling out with Brewer and Brewer’s mother because the two were angry over Facebook posts Airheart’s daughter had made about Bryant. Airheart said her daughter is 27 years old and she can’t really control what her daughter posts of Facebook.