Brownwood police continued their investigation Monday into the Saturday shooting that has taken the victim’s life and resulted in the arrest of the alleged shooter.
    Police were still trying Monday to determine what led to the 12:25 p.m. shooting, which happened inside a home in the 300 bock of North Greenleaf, and had little information to release.
    Larry Irvin, 29, died after being shot in the head. Preston Browne, 25, of Brownwood, was charged before Irvin’s death with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, evidence tampering and unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon, according to Brownwood police and Brown County Jail records. Browne remained jailed Monday with bonds set totaling $600,000.
    Charges against Browne had not been upgraded as of Monday afternoon, but police are in close contact with the district attorney’s office, which will determine the appropriate charges, Brownwood Police Chief Terry Nichols said.
    “It’s wide open,” Nichols said of the investigation. “We’re still trying to figure out what happened.”
    Nichols said Browne and Irvin knew each other but said police had not determined the motive for the shooting, and were trying to determine how many shots were fired. Nichols declined to comment on the type of firearm.
    Nichols did not know how many people live in the home where the shooting happened, but said neither Browne nor Irvin lived there.
    Someone from inside the home placed a 9-1-1 call and identified Browne as the suspect, Nichols said.
    Irvin was initially flown to Hendrick Medical Center in Abilene and later transferred to a Fort Worth-area hospital, where he later died. Nichols said.
    Officers were informed the suspect had fled the scene on foot toward Early, and a Brown County Sheriff’s deputy and Early police officer located and detained Browne, Nichols said.
    Anyone with specific information regarding this investigation is encouraged to call the Brownwood Police Department at 325-646-2525 or Crime Stoppers at 800-822-8477.