Brownwood police are investigating a hit-and-run that happened Monday night in the Walmart parking lot and left a pedestrian with minor injuries. The suspect has not been identified and remains at large.
According to an email from Brownwood police:
Officer Colby Adams was dispatched at 7 p.m. to the Walmart parking lot on a report of a hit-and-run involving a pedestrian. Adams learned a husband and wife were walking in the parking lot when an older model pickup, driven by an older white female, just completed backing out of a parking space. The driver accelerated toward the couple at a high rate of speed and turned the pickup toward the couple as it approached them. The pickup’s side mirror struck the female’s right arm. The driver then left the parking lot in spite of attempts by the couple and witnesses to stop it the pickup.
While awaiting the arrival of law enforcement, the witnesses and victim explained that the pickup came back into the parking lot and the unidentified driver made obscene gestures as she drove by.
The victim sought medical attention for a minor injury at Brownwood Regional Medical Center. The suspect has not been identified and the investigation continues.
In an unrelated incident Monday night, police arrestedJacqueline Deskins, 39, on charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon following a domestic dispute in the 1000 block of Tenth.
Officers were dispatched at9:30 p.m., where they learned a male and female were involved in what started as a verbal altercation. The dispute that turned physical when the female punched the male repeatedly. The male ordered the female to leave the residence, which escalated the fight.
As the male attempted to leave the room, the female grabbed a glass vase and threw it at the back of the male’s head, police said. This assault opened a 2-inch laceration and caused profuse bleeding.
Sheriff’s officials later charged Deskins with assault on a public servant because of her violence in the jail, Assistant Police Chief James Fuller said.
In other incidents:
Friday, June 1
• Theft — 1000 block of Vine.
• Theft — 500 block of East Commerce.
Saturday, June 2
• Domestic — 2000 block of Brady.
• DWI — Carnegie and Fisk, male disregarded traffic control device.
• DWI — 13th and Coggin, driver arrested after officer followed up on report of reckless driving.
Sunday, June 3
• Theft of firearm — 2500 block of Coggin.
• Evading arrest — 2000 block of Brady, arrested male for evading and on outstanding warrant.
• Traffic stop — 1200 block of Austin, arrested Kensley Gardner, 27, of Brownwood, on charges of possession of a controlled substance, evidence tampering and possession of marijuana.
• Animal at large — 1000 block of Belle Plain. Two citations issued.
Monday, June 4
• Public intoxication — 3700 block of Savoy. Thomas Stewart, 45, arrested on charges of public intoxication and resisting arrest.