An altercation between two men in a south Brownwood home Monday night sent one man to the hospital with knife wounds and another to jail, charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

William Koepp, 31, of Brownwood, was booked into the Brown County Jail after another man was stabbed inside the home in the 3800 block of Second Street, police said. 

Bond had not been set as of Tuesday afternoon.

Koepp’s sister, Kimberly Koepp, said the two men are friends and had been drinking at a bar before ending up at her home, where the altercation took place.

William Koepp sustained a puncture wound to his right leg and was treated at Brownwood Regional Medical Center before being taken into custody, police said.

Police said via email that officers were dispatched to the home around 11:20 p.m. Officers arrived to find several people in a side yard attending to the victim who was lying on the ground. The victim appeared to have sustained serious lacerations to his abdomen and neck. 

A second male — identified as Koepp — was located inside the residence with a wound to his leg.

 Both were transported to the Brownwood Regional Medical Center, and the victim was later flown to John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth.

Kimberly Koepp said her brother and the victim became intoxicated in the bar and were refused further service. They reportedly  called for two sober friends to pick them up.

The four ended up at William Koepp’s home, which is around the corner from his sister’s home.

At 10:45 p.m., one of the sober friends called Kimberly Koepp and said “we’re coming over,” the sister said. The four arrived, and William Koepp and the 40-year-old victim were “goofy drunk,” but there was no sign of trouble, Kimberly Koepp said.

The sister said she, a friend who also lives there and the two sober friends went outside to smoke cigarettes. 

Kimberly Koepp said she heard some scuffling that started in the bathroom and moved to the living room. She thought her brother and the other man “were joking around or goofing off or wrestling or something.”

Then the sister heard her brother say, “Call 9-1-1. I need a tourniquet.”

The two sober men ran inside and walked the victim outside, who remained standing in the driveway before lying down, Kimberly Koepp said.

She said while her brother doesn’t deny stabbing the other man, he made statements indicating that he had been protecting himself. 

Assistant Police Chief James Fuller declined additional comment.