The Brown County 4-H Project Show will be held on Saturday, Dec. 7 at the Brown County Youth Fair Barns. Entry fee for the show will be $5 per head and $5 per head for jackpot showmanship (showmanship will be broken up into juniors & seniors). You must be enrolled in 4-H to participate in the show (clover kids can participate). If you use a pen it is your responsibility to clean it out before you leave. The schedule is below. If you have any questions, please contact the Extension office.
7 a.m.: Barns open
7:30 a.m.: Purchase Weight Cards
8:30 a.m.: All weight cards for sheep, goats, swine, & rabbits must be turned in
9 a.m.: Begin Show (order: sheep, goats, swine, cattle) (rabbit show will start at 9:00a.m. in sheep and goat barn)
10 a.m. : All steer & heifer entry cards must be turned in
BROWN COUNTY YOUTH FAIR EXHIBITOR WORKDAYS
The Brown County Youth Fair is requiring youth participants to attend a workday to be eligible for their premium check. This gives participants an opportunity to assist and give back to the youth fair. When participating at a workday, please be sure to sign in so they have a record of you being present. The next two workdays at the Youth Fair Barns will be as follows:
• Saturday, Dec. 14: 8 a.m. to noon
• Saturday, Jan. 4: 8 a.m. to noon
DISTRICT 7 4-H SCHOLARSHIP TRAININGS
If you are senior in high school and plan to apply for the Texas 4-H Opportunity Scholarship, District 7 4-H is offering trainings. There are changes for the 2020 Texas 4-H Scholarship, we highly encourage you to attend the training to learn and understand all the new changes. Below are the dates for the upcoming trainings:
• Nov. 18 – District 7 AgriLife Research & Extension Center, San Angelo, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
• Nov. 25 — Online WebEx Training, 6 p.m. (Online)
Contact the Extension Office for more information for the WebEx Training. For more information contact the Extension Office.
PUT YOUR DOLLARS TOWARDS BROWN COUNTY 4-H
Ag-Mart and Moorman’s is teaming up to give local. For every bag of ShowTec you purchase Ag-Mart and Moorman’s will give $1 back to a local 4-H Club/Project Club of your choice. Purchase between now and Dec. 31.
LOOKING FOR VOLUNTEERS FOR A DAY IN THE BROWN COUNTY SHOW RING
We are once again hosting A Day in the Brown County Show Ring at the 2019 Brown County Youth Fair. This show will showcase differently-able students from across the county, and their 4-H/FFA member buddy, as they exhibit lambs.
The objective of A Day in the Brown County Ring is to give differently-able youth an opportunity to participate in the Brown County Youth Fair. Exhibitors will be partnered up with a 4-H/FFA member who will help them present their lamb in the show ring. Each exhibitor will receive a t-shirt, lunch, rosette, and an amazing opportunity to show. The show will be after breeding sheep and does on Tuesday, Jan. 7. We have partnered with the Youth Fair and Texas Farm Bureau Insurance to help fund this event.
We are looking for youth volunteers to “buddy” up with exhibitors. Participants will be “showing” lambs so we will need volunteers to help supply the show lambs for that day. We want to keep the grade level of the volunteers 7th grade and up.
Each exhibitor will be partnered with 2 “buddies” (4-H/FFA members) that will assist with walking the lamb, on a halter, around the ring.
Tentative Schedule is as follows:
• Youth participants will arrive at Youth Fair Barn at 10 a.m. (we will need volunteers there by 9 a.m. for orientation)
• Participants will eat lunch around 11 a.m.
• Show will tentative start at noon
• Each participant will get a rosette and a picture in front of the backdrop.
If you are interested in volunteering, please contact the Extension Office to request a Youth Volunteer Application. The deadline to sign up is Dec. 4. For more information contact Nick Gonzales at the Brown County Extension Office.
2020 CALF SCRAMBLES
Rodeo Austin - March 21, 2020
• Purchase certificate value of $1,000 - $6,000
• Certificates used to purchase the following: Market Steer, Market Lamb, Market Goat, Market Barrow, Breeding Beef Heifer
• Participant must have reached their 12th but not their 18th birthday on August 31st, year prior to show and must not be enrolled beyond their junior year in High School.
• Entries are limited to 168 participants
• Online entries begin Oct. 1 and participants are accepted on first-come, first-serve basis.
• Entry fee is $30
Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo – Jan. 17-Feb. 8, 2020
• Purchase certificate value of $500
• Certificates used to purchase a breeding beef or dairy heifer
• All applicants must have been born between 09/01/01 and 01/01/2005 and not beyond their junior year of high school.
• Entries will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. After all the positions have been filled, the remaining applications will be kept on file and used on an as needed basis. • Each County 4-H Program is limited to a maximum of six entries.
Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo – March 3-22, 2020
• Purchase certificate value of $1,750
• Certificates used to purchase a breeding beef heifer or market steer
• Must show the animal in the 2021 Houston Livestock Show
•Entries will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. After all the positions have been filled, the remaining applications will be kept on file and used on an as needed basis.
San Angelo Stock Show and Rodeo – Jan. 31- Feb. 8, 2020
• Limited to first 80 entries
• Participants must have reached their 13th, but not 19th birthday on or by February 1, 2020
• 20 students compete in 4 separate scrambles
• A purchase certificate will be issued to each of the top 10 contestants catching a calf in one of the four go-arounds.
• FINALS: Top 16 Contestants come back! (Top 4 in each go-round)
• Top 8 in Finals receive scholarships
• Places 9-16 receive additional $250 purchase certificate.
• Must be 13 years of age but no older than 18 by Feb. 1, 2019
San Antonio Stock Show – Feb. 6-23, 2020
• Participants must have reached their 12th, but not their 18th birthday on Jan. 1 and not be enrolled beyond their junior year in high school.
• Entry deadline for calf scramble is Nov. 1.
If you are planning on participating in any of the other calf scrambles, please contact Nick Gonzales at the Extension Office.
4-H ENROLLMENT IS OPEN ON 4-H CONNECT!
The enrollment process for the 2019-2020 4-H year began Aug. 15. All 4-H families, new and returning, are encouraged to log in and enroll to become an official 4-H member.
As you begin your enrollment for the year, here are some tips in using 4-H CONNECT:
• If you already have a profile DO NOT create another one!
• If you lost your email and password call the county office so we can reset, it for you.
• An active membership will not be granted until the $25 participation fee is paid on 4-H Connect!
• You cannot register or participate in an event until your profile is ACTIVE.
• When you are doing your re-enrollment for the 2019-2020 4-H Year please make sure you update your address, phone number, and e-mail address.
For any youth who is joining 4-H in 2019-2020 for the first time as a 3rd grader we ask for you NOT TO ENROLL until Sept. 1, which is the actual first day of the new 4-H year and what is used to calculate grade/age. If a 2nd grader moving into 3rd grade enrolls before Sept. 1 it will “tag” them as a Clover Kid, not charge an enrollment fee and lock them in as a Clover Kid for the year.
Don’t wait until the last minute to enroll because after Oct. 31 the cost increases to $30.
DATES TO REMEMBER
Nov. 24 – Sheep Club Meeting, 7 p.m. at the Youth Fair Grounds
Nov. 28-29 – Extension Office Closed for Thanksgiving Holidays
Dec. 7 – Brown County 4-H Project Show at the Youth Fair Barns
Dec. 8 – Brownwood 4-H Club Meeting, 5 p.m. at the Youth Fair Barns
Dec. 8 – Bangs 4-H Club Meeting, 6 p.m. at Bangs High School
Dec. 8 – May 4-H Club Meeting, 2 p.m. at May High School
Dec. 14 – Brown County Youth Fair Workday, 8 a.m. to noon at the Youth Fair Barns
Dec. 17 – Rabbit Club Meeting, 6:30 p.m. at the Home Economics Building
Dec. 24-25 – Extension Office Closed for Christmas Holidays