Sky Sudderth’s death from ethylene glycol intoxication has been ruled a suicide.

The Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office posted the ruling by Dr. Nizam Peerwani on its Web site Wednesday.

Sudderth, 40, died on April 3 at Harris Hospital in Fort Worth after ingesting antifreeze, authorities said earlier.

Sudderth was living at his mother and stepfather’s home in Comanche when his stepfather found him ill in his bedroom, authorities have said.

The medical examiner’s office listed the cause of death as ethylene glycol intoxication in an April 30 posting, but the manner of death had been listed as “pending” until Wednesday because investigators were awaiting additional lab reports.

The substance is a colorless, odorless, sweet-tasting chemical found in products including antifreeze, de-icing fluid, detergents, paints, and cosmetics, and is toxic, according to information on medical Web sites. It is poisonous if swallowed.

The day he died, Sudderth had a court appearance scheduled in Williamson County, where he faced charges of aggravated sexual assault of a child.

Comanche Police Chief Bruce Bradshaw said earlier that police found antifreeze in a shop at the home.

He said police did not find any other products at the home that contained ethylene glycol.

Police initially investigated Sudderth’s death as a possible overdose of over-the-counter medication.

Bradshaw said Sudderth’s stepfather, Jerry Pyburn, was awakened by a noise and found Sudderth lying on the floor upstairs shortly before 1 a.m. on April 2..

Sudderth was conscious but weak and lethargic, Bradshaw said. He could answer questions, and said he was thirsty.

Sudderth had told his mother and step-father earlier that day that he was ill and had taken some non-prescription medication, Bradshaw said.

He was taken by ambulance to Comanche County Medical Center, where doctors found symptoms of antifreeze ingestion, Bradshaw said.

Sudderth was transferred later that day to the Fort Worth hospital. He died at 5:45 p.m. April 3, Linda Harris of the medical examiner’s office said earlier.

Sudderth was elected district attorney of the 35th Judicial District, which includes Brown and Mills counties, in November 2000. He resigned in May 2004 in exchange for the dismissal of Brown County charges of aggravated perjury, tampering with government records and tampering with or fabricating physical evidence.

A Williamson County Grand Jury returned an indictment against Sudderth in August alleging nine counts of aggravated sexual assault of a child and one count of tampering with evidence, court records state.