Two juveniles suspected of breaking in and vandalizing Northwest Elementary School over the Memorial Day weekend have been apprehended and turned over to Brown County juvenile authorities.

According to a Brownwood police report filed late last week, Officer Ray Slayton became suspicious of a pair of young teens he saw in a lot near the school at about 3:30 a.m. Monday. The two juveniles were held for questioning and police matched the size and shoe sole pattern of one of the youth’s shoes to footprints left at the scene.

According to an earlier police report, vandals had apparently thrown a baseball-size rock through the first-grade library window at the school and gained entry into the building. Once inside, the vandals smeared bright blue paint around the walls and ceiling of a room, and opened and spilled other primary-colored paints, then thrown yogurt cups against the wall causing them to burst open and splatter the contents.

In other reports filed Thursday and Friday, a woman reported her billfold was stolen out of the front seat of her car. The burglar gained entry through an open car window while the woman was inside a store in Market Place.

But a man in the 3000 block of Austin who thought his lawnmower had been stolen had a little better luck. He reported at about 1:30 p.m. Wednesday that the mower had been stolen, but three hours later, he called back to the police station to say he’d found the mower. He must have forgotten where he’d put it, he told police.

Also on Wednesday, Brownwood police officer James Kidd responded to a call at MBM Services, 111 Main, where employee Bob Denton reported a 1983 Pontiac Parisienne that had been sitting on the company’s lot for about two years and was for sale had been burglarized. According to Kidd’s report the right front window of the vehicle had been shattered and the stereo/radio unit had been stolen.

And a couple living in the 2100 block of Center Avenue have been cited for unauthorized use of the city’s water. According to a report by Brownwood police officer Zane Taylor, the water had been cut off due to a returned check, but the resident had sawed through a barrel lock and jimmied the apparatus that kept the water from flowing into the house.

The man admitted to Taylor he’d broken the lock and damaged the riser, and that he would make restitution. In addition to fines he will be charged $163.86 for the 7,500 gallons of water run through the meter since the cut off, $31 for the broken riser and $5 for the broken lock.