Right now, there’s no cure for juvenile diabetes. That’s just one more monumental detail families have to accept when their child is diagnosed.

But there is hope for a cure, say Chris and Jennifer Furry, whose 6-year-old daughter Cassie was diagnosed with Type 1 juvenile diabetes as a 2-year-old toddler.

And the only way for that hope to become a reality is through research. So, beyond hope, the Furry family is doing what it can to raise money for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.

In the family’s first year of fund raising, the Furry Family Team raised $7,200. Last year, the first year family members hosted a nighttime golf tournament, the family raised more than $16,000 — the most any one team raised of the 131 teams in the region.

“This year,” said Chris Furry, we want to keep our record and beat last year’s total. Our goal is $25,000.”

All of the money raised goes toward the JDRF, he said.

“We tell Cassie’s story so people will know how devastating this juvenile diabetes is, but none of the money we raise is for our daughter. It all goes to the JDRF to help find a cure.”

Cassie must check her blood sugar between six and 10 times a day, but, her father said, insulin is not a cure, nor does it prevent the eventual and devastating complications of diabetes which include kidney failure, blindness, heart disease, stroke and amputation.

Saturday, the family is hosting its second annual “Night Golf Tournament” at Shady Creek, and the event is proving to be a popular one — it’s filled up, Chris Furry said.

“But, if people want to come out and eat, we’re having a couple hundred pounds of live crawfish flown in,” said David Furry, Cassie’s grandfather.

And crawfish aficionados can come to Shady Creek and purchase a pound of crawfish for $8, or, there’s an “all-you-can-eat” price for $19.95. Serving will begin around 6 p.m., David Furry said, and continue until around dark.

A second effort, that’s proving to be very popular, is the chance to win a “pot” of money from a golf ball drop. Golf ball chances have been for sale in front of Wal-Mart. Each chance costs $2. On Saturday the chances will be lifted in a helicopter at Shady Creek and dropped. The balls that land in a coffee can sitting on the ground will split 80 percent of the pot. The other 20 percent goes to the JDRF.

David Furry said chances on a $500 gift certificate to 1st Travel in Brownwood are also being sold — one for $5 or five chances for $20.

Anyone interested in purchasing chances for either or both of the fund-raisers may call 748-3191 or 642-9045 to make arrangements.

Anyone wishing to make a donation, or make a pledge to the Furry Family Team participating in the annual Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Walk for a Cure, scheduled Oct. 20 in Fort Worth may also send a check or money order payable to JDRF and mail it to Leak Surveys, Inc.; P.O. Box 3066; Early, TX 76802.

Or, said David Furry, “call us and we’ll come get your check.”

Pledges can also be made online to JDRF. Family members ask anyone making a pledge to Cassie’s name on the form so the Furry Family Team will get the right credit for the team goal.

To make a pledge on line, David Furry advised, enter the following link into your Internet address bar: http://walk.jdrf.org/walker.cfm?id=86707972.

Click on “Donate to this walker” and follow the instructions.