BANGS — Second halves have been shaky at best for the Brownwood Lions during their first two outings. In Saturday's season-opener, a 27-point first-head lead almost vanished in a 60-56 victory over Lampasas. And Monday, the Lions owned a 19-17 halftime advantage over Class 5A Georgetown, but wound up suffering a 51-32 defeat.

Tuesday night, however, the Lions opened an 18-point halftime lead over the Bangs Dragons, then tallied the first 18 points of the second half en route to a 73-30 victory, improving to 2-1 on the young season.

“The first thing I said to them at halftime was the two games we played we came out very sloppy in the second half,” said Lions fourth-year head coach Nadir Dalleh. “It almost cost us our first game and it really cost us yesterday. We put a little emphasis on that and the kids took it to heart and played well.”

Brownwood jumped out to a 17-6 lead after one quarter, which stood at 32-14 at halftime. The Lions then stretched the advantage to 50-14 before the Dragons finally lit up the scoreboard with 3:18 left in the third period. Heading into the fourth quarter, Brownwood owned a 58-24 advantage.

“The kids moved the ball well and were playing unselfishly, but we missed a lot of easy layups,” Dalleh said. “Jakob Hataway sees the floor as good as anybody I've got and he's looking for assist after assist instead of scoring points and that upsets him when we miss little shots like that. But that's a good problem to have.”

John Wilhelm led the Lions with 17 points trailed by Beau Bronniman with 14, Bryson Monroe with 12, Christian Kinzler with nine, Luke Moss with five, Brandon Hamrick, Josh Baucom and Bryan Healer with four apiece and Hataway with one point.

Bangs (0-2) received nine points from T.J. Butler, seven from Wesley Mitchell, six from Riley Taylor, four from Wyatt Lykins, three from Guy Powell, two from Logan Massey and one from Corbin Freeland.

Leading 32-14 when the second half began, Brownwood's crippling run started with a pair of free throws and a three-pointer from Monroe, followed by a trey from Bronniman that pushed the lead to 40-14. Wilhelm then drilled a three-pointer, Baucom followed with a bucket, Bronniman converted a traditional three-point play and Wilhelm chipped in a layup as the lead ballooned to 50-14.

In the first half, Brownwood kept Bangs in single digits until 1:02 remained in the half, as Mitchell's bucket made the score 30-11.

“We did a lot better defensively,” Dalleh said. “We didn't give up wide open shots like we have been. We blocked out better, we rebounded well and we converted points off fast breaks off of that so that helps.”

The Lions will be back in action at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 3 when they host Dublin , while the Dragons' next game is set for 8 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 3 at Jim Ned.