Bulletin Staff Report

BALLINGER - The Brownwood Lions needed an extra session, but kept their undefeated record intact with a 64-60 overtime win over the Colorado City Wolves Friday in the Ballinger basketball tournament.

The Lions (5-0) will face either host Ballinger or Roscoe at 7:30 p.m. in the tournament championship game.

Friday’s victory marked the first time this season Brownwood had not won a game by double digits, which head coach Shane Perkins stated was a positive.

“We needed this because if you’re winning all your games by double digits, your head can get a little big,” Perkins said. “The kids think they’ve been playing hard, but now they know they can play harder and play at another level.”

Brownwood scored on its first two possessions of the extra session, then milked the clock, according to Perkins. Colorado City managed just two points in overtime, and those came with less than a minute to play.

“In the fourth quarter and overtime we really got after it on defense,” said Perkins.

The Lions trailed 12-9 after one quarter but rallied to take a 26-24 halftime lead.

“We missed a lot of open shots in the first quarter, but we played better in the second quarter,” Perkins said. “We were starting to pull away until they hit back-to-back threes right before halftime.”

Colorado City scored 20 points in the third period to regain a 44-40 lead, but the Lions clawed back and evened the score at 58-all at the end of four quarters.

“They really took it to us in the third quarter,” Perkins said. “They scored 20 points in the quarter and 16 of those came in the first five minutes. We came out without any energy or enthusiasm, so I put the reserves in and they really got after it.

“In the fourth quarter we made some big plays to get it into overtime, and Justin Rainey hit a big three-pointer.”

Parker Taylor led the Lions with 16 points, followed by 15 each from Jordan Rhoads and Ike Huestis, who drained five three-pointers.

Rashad Deal chipped in eight points, Jeremy Morgan finished with five, Rainey hit a three-pointer and Mike Thompson tallied two points.